Lost Sock Creations

Lost Sock Creations
what it's all about...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What is Lost Sock?

Every since I was a little girl, I had a sore spot for sad little stuffed creatures. When most kids would use thier allowance to buy a video game, I would find myself a new stuffed creature to add to my collection. As an adult, I started collecting sock monkeys. It was my goal to find the most unique, pitiful, and sad ones. I didn't care how ugly they were, the uglier the better! I found out soon that the unique ones were the expensive ones... so i thought... I am creative... why don't I just make my own sock creatures?! I started collecting socks, buttons, felt, yarn, or anything I could find to use on my dolls. I got so much pleasure in taking old socks and bringing life to them. Each one was so unique and seemed to have their own special personality. It started off as something simple, just to pass the time. But, little did I know, God had big plans for me and my socks...
In August of 2008, I went on a Christian Retreat in Dallas with a friend. I really had no big expectation for it, just was hoping to learn more about God. During the overnight retreat, I went through a spiritual awakening. Christ uncovered a lot of issues that I had buried up inside me for years. These were things I thought He could not see, or did not care about. He let me know that they were things he not only saw, but cared very deeply about. They were getting in the way of our relationship and prohibitting me to grow any closer to Him and strengthen my walk. I had built a giant wall between us that he was ready to demolish! And he did...
After the demolision, I could hear His voice! And he talked to me more and more. This allowed me to hear what he had planned for my life, my creativity, my job, and yes... my sock dolls!
Late one night I was tossing and turning in bed, feeling like the Lord was trying to tell me something. I grabbed my journal and went off into a room to see what he wanted to tell me. He began telling me a story of my sockdolls. All I did was take notes, like a college students with her Professor. He was in charge, it was his idea, and I just recorded his every word. By the time I was done writing, I had an outline for a book! It was a book for the Story of  "The Lost Sock".
The creation of this book had been a journey for me. I have learned so much about our Creator and His love for me. I have learned the importance of reading His word to grow. I have learned the power of having faith in His word. I have learned true sacrifice (will be explained in a future blog). I have learned that even when we aren't hearning his voice, He is still hearing ours. I have learned that His timing makes more sense than ours. I have learned that no matter how hard we work to get something done, if it is not His will, we are just stubbornly "spinning our wheels in mud". I have learned that His big important plan for us may not happen today, but that what does happen today is a little part of His plan. If we skip the little parts of His plan, the big picture will not make sense. We just have to trust Him, and have faith in the unknown.
My plans for this book may be different than His. If I get big headed about the book, He knows how to "knock me off my horse". His plan, I have learned, is going to be grand. It is going to move others. It is going to be real...




Made for my eldest nephew...

Made for my youngest nephew...

Made for My Little One Madelynn for her Asian theme room...



Made for my Mom, created in her image...

Me as a sock doll...